The concept of territorial defence has evolved to assume a totalitarian character and no longer limited to only military aspect to ensure stability and social security, it includes more economic and social development of society as a whole.
National service is subject to the provisions of Law No°1 dating January 14, 2004, which aims to contribute to the evolution of society and to further regulate the field of national service so that it contributes more at the achievement of economic and social development.
The main features of the Act are :
• The adoption of the principle of volunteering appear to resolve the situation to the National Service
• The creation of a regional commission census at each delegation
• The creation of a Regional Office of the National Service in each governorate
• The setting of the age limit for conscription to 35 years
• The exemption of certain categories of public officials to the completion of National Service