The provisions of law n° 1 dating January 14, 2004 stipulate:
- The military service is a duty for every 20 years old Tunisian citizen suited to pass 12 months into armies’ forces units.
- From the age of 18 years, the Tunisian citizen can be incorporated after the approval of the national defence minister.
- The recruits could follow a professional training in various specialties at professional training centers belonging to the three Armies Forces or the central corps.
Stages of conscription :
1.The Census :
- From the age of 18, every Tunisian citizen is requested to the military census within a committee presided by the delegate of the city of his residence.
- The young's people called up to fill up information’s bills by addressing themselves to their respective City hall of residence.
Every 20-year-old citizen has to turn up to the regional office of the National Service of his residence in the previously mentioned class time indicated in his individual census bill. Through his identity card (ID), he would regularize his position vis à vis the National Service law.
The citizens who turn up to the Regional Centers of Conscription and Mobilization would undergo:
- A medical check-up to determine their aptitude to the accomplishment of the National Service.
- A psycho-technical test.
3.The military training:
Suited to accomplish the national service, the recruits are conducted to the military training centers to follow a basic military training.
After that, they would be transferred to military units and could follow a professional training in various specialties at Professional Training Centers belonging to the three Armies and the central corps.